6/24/2006

"Good Wood," Fingernails, Corneas, and Tetanus...An Evening with my Family

Well...Here goes!

Friday night, I decided that we would all have a family "splurge" and go to "Good Wood" restaurant for dinner. It seemed like a really good idea...at the time...but now...I'm not so sure...

I have a typical three year old who, like any other three year old, does not do "overtly" well in restuarant settings. (This should of done some foreshadowing for me!) We had just gotten our order (yummy, yummy steaks, garlic potatoes, salads....YUM!) and had begun eating, and smiling, and sharing tastes, and smiling, when my youngest said "I need to go potty!" So...being the good mom, I excused us and headed with who I refer to as my little "banshee", into the restroom. Things went well...It was a "direct hit" into the toilet, no "struggle," and we were in the process of getting shorts back on when suddenly...IT happened...

My "excitable" and totally unpredictable three year old suddenly threw up his arms, and with the knife-like skill of a ninja, his fingernail SLICED into the CORNEA of my EYE! Let's just say this...I have NEVER felt pain like this before in MY LIFE!! Labor, tattoos, broken bones, stitches...NOTHING comes close!!

After trying to compose myself, I went back to the family at the table and told them what had happened. It was either the fact that they a) Didn't care b) Were enjoying too much steak or c) Didn't hear me, but my hand cupped over my tearing/swollen eye as I was white-knuckling the edge of the table did not have quite the effect I had anticipated. (Did I MENTION the PAIN?!)

When we got home, I was in such agony that (after I AGAIN explained to my husband, who FINALLY realized that I had not been "hit" in the eye, but that my actual EYEBALL had been LACERATED!) I took 800 mg of ibuprofen, and a percocet that I had left from my last pregnancy...An hour later...STILL IN PAIN, tears flowing like a river...

I sent my husband to go and get me some saline drops to clean out my eye, where the DEAR pharmacist told him that he had better get me into a doctor, ASAP! So, at 10:45pm, we had a family outing to the ER.

After they numbed my eye (HEAVEN!!) they put special ink into it, and the doctor basically told me I had one of the largest lacerations he had seen...We weren't talking about a single, short line, but a whole, continuous circle shape that sliced my cornea over part of my pupil and iris areas!

Before I left, I got three prescriptions (1 antibiotic, 1 anti-inflamatory, and a bottle of percocet:) ) as well as a special "parting gift"...a nice, big TETANUS shot!!

My dear friend got sealed to her husband and family today...You know how you are not supposed to "upstage the bride?"...Well...I tried my best not to when I showed up heavily dosed on percocet and wearing my black EYE-PATCH!

Tomorrow I have to teach Gospel Doctrine...Maybe I should just bring "Pirates of the Caribbean" and blame it on the percocet?!

4 comments:

Lammy said...

ROFL... Pirates ...
I have never had that happen, so I feel for ya, sweetie. :(
Hope you recover QUICKLY!

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

This is not funny but I have to admit, I can't quit laughing at the way you wrote about it! It's one of those things where you just want to smack someone! unfortunately, that won't help! I had a similar experience when I had lasik done but I couldn't feel any of that! Plus, I knew what I was getting in to!. Hope you feel better soon! I love your life! It's just as crazy as mine!

S'mee said...

oy! I have only been on the mom-of-the-victim end of this scenario, but I feel for you! #4 seems to find his way to the eye doc -a lot! That said the whole pirate gig may work out for you. If all else fails, sing these (s'mee's favorite verse) lines from the famous song:

We're blighter's and beggars and n'er do well cads; drink up ye hearties! Yo-Ho! But oh how we're loved by our mommies and dads! Drink up me hearties! Yo-Ho! Yo-Ho! Yo-Ho! A Pirate's life for S'mee! (another famous pirate ;> )

Get well soon sweety.

Lisa M. said...

Oh Yipes Yolanda!

Goodness.

Love ya.