5/24/2007

Selling Points 101



So, we are under contract, and hopefully closing on our home by June 15th...The couple who is buying our home did their "walk-thru inspection today. It ended up being a short list of things we needed to complete before the closing...but a few of the requests really "irked" me.

"Fill in all nail or screw holes throughout the entire house."

Now, I can understand if we had gaping HOLES in our walls, but isn't it a little OCD to require every tiny picture frame incision to be filled in?

"Fix or replace the handle on the front storm-door."

This tells me how "ballsy" these people are...Yesterday, after leaving the home with the kids so they could quietly "look around," I got a frantic message from our realtor, saying that she was hoping we were able to get our house secured?..My husband had come home before me, and when we got home, he told me that when he had arrived home, our front doors were WIDE OPEN, and the KEY was LEFT IN THE DOOR KNOB!! Odd...(It gets better!!) I realized this morning, as I tried to open the door to let my children out to school, that the handle WOULD NOT BUDGE--not only would the door not open, but the inside handle was hanging on the thread of a screw! The couple had completely BROKEN our handle! Instead of an "oops, my bad..." they left my home open, and then added it to the list of things WE would take care of. I'm still seeing red...

This last one...well...judge for yourself...

"Sheetrock, paint, and texture, the wall behind the dryer."

Sure...I ALWAYS bring people into my laundry room, and show them the tiny, cut-out wall area where my dryer slides into...It is TRULY a vision to behold...I thought the plug-in outlet and exposed air hose was quite quaint...I guess not...

All in all, I am pleased with how things are going, and looking forward to the next phase...RENTING!!!

(Maybe my rental will have a mural painted on their dryer's back-wall?!!)

2 comments:

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

Hey girl,

my sister just went through the same thing in selling her house.

In fact, she had one of those big clocks you make in relief soc. that has your name & CO. on it. They wanted it.

It had their last name on it but these people said they wouldn't buy the house without it. S told them it was a house warming gift that her sister in law had made for them and that they could make one for cheap. The answer was still no. They wanted THAT clock over the fireplace to stay.

People are weird and it is so maddening and yet you don't want them to back out so you do it. It makes me so want to spit fire!!

Did you confront them about the broken lock? I don't think I would be able to not say anything about that. I am WAY to vocal!

Well, good luck darling!

I will be thinking of you!

Laura said...

All I can say is, thank heaven for our realtor...She gets to say everything for us!!!