1/25/2008

All Pumped Up!



After SIX MONTHS of logging, and logging, and logging, each and every blood test, as well as each and every unit of insulin I injected into my body, my insurance company FINALLY approved me to get an insulin pump...(Do NOT read the following if you are the faint at heart...)

It "only" cost me $3849.00...Nope...It's not a typo...I actually paid more than my insurance company did...NOW do you see why I want to take on the insurance companies? (see below post) Instead of handing you a glucometer, a couple vials of insulin, some shots, and a "good luck with that," EVERYONE newly diagnosed should receive one of these babies...It is truly THAT life altering!

Aside from the irritating insurance fiasco, I am really excited, and "PUMPED" to finally be "hooked" up.

If anything...I just look like I am someone important...sporting a special pager/phone!

6 comments:

Suzie Petunia said...

YIKES! That is expensive, but I can only imagine how it has changed your life. My sister in law has been trying to get one for her daughter with little luck.

Never fear! My husband works for a company who is trying to "fix" the health care industry. He feels like a superhero. (It certainly WILL take a superhero to fix it!)

Laura said...

Bless your husband's heart and "AMEN!" to the sentence in parenthesis!

S'mee said...

Thor sits on the exec. board for his company in regard to health/welfare/benefits for the employees. Health care is his nightmare. In the last two years the cost for health insurance has risen 45%! His job is to "find" the money to pay for this increase within the "package" of benefits employees receive. This means he has to juggle which benefits get this amount or that, which drugs to pay for or delete from the plan, how much of a co-pay to ask the employee to pay for. When you think that 2 years ago you could get the same exact coverage for $100, and now it $145. it's criminal. Where do you cut? How much do you ask employees to co-pay? How do you tell your retirees that their plan is going up *again*?

The wealthy can continue to pay, yes it hurts, but they can still afford to pay. The poor receive subsidies, and you my friend, are in the middle and you will pay the lion's share; that is until you get rich or eventually become poor.

Let me tell you, we are fans of Universal Health care, where everyone, regardless of how much they can pay, receives the *best* possible health care. Look to France, Canada, England...it works.

Laura said...

I keep telling my husband, "Hey--I speak French---let's just move to Canada" ALL the time!!!!

Carrie Ann said...

I am SO excited for you! You'll be just like "Seven" the borg, part machanical and all hottie!

Amy Lynn said...

Congratulations to you and your new pump. How is it working? How do you feel? I can't wait to oh and ah at the pump. Can we take it out for a lunch date soon?