2/25/2008

Talents



When I was a freshman in High school, it was required that everyone took Keyboarding, also known as, Type. The class room had a constant sound of fingers hitting keys in a rhythmic montage...where...for and hour and twenty minutes, this constant sound was repeated, again, and again...

It wasn't until I was in college, that I realized not everyone could type--I mean, REALLY type. I can type without looking at the keys, and rarely do I make an overt number of mistakes, and can do it in a very limited amount of time. While we were in school, I would painstakingly watch as my husband would start to type up a paper...tap...tap...tap...when I would suddenly find myself typing his paper for him instead of listening to that depressing sound. Any colleagues of mine at work were amazed how I would type up agendas, reports and what-nots so swiftly...At our recent Stake Talent Show? Yes...It was I who typed up the entire script for the youth who had parts in the program...word...for...word...

I wonder if it will ever be passe to know how to type--Will typing, emailing and text messaging give way to voice only? Is it only a matter of time before this subtle talent of mine will be made into jokes and "I remember when's...?"

Timeless talents...Are there any?!


5 comments:

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

Good question. I hope it continues. I can't imagine it not. I know my kids have to learn in school.

I do not know how to text. In fact, on Warcraft, people often use the acronyms used in texting and I always have to ask "what does that mean?"

We'll have to see but I think in our lifetime, there will always be the tap, tap, tap of the keyboard!

Kim Allsup said...

Oh my heck!.... I had to take type in High School and did very well. My teacher had a speach impedament? and he would always say......"gewt weady fou yo timed wittings...get weady.. begin

I talked way to much in his class and had to be moved to the corner....
Taylor asked where the W was on the keyboard and I quickly said....left hand...top row...next to the Q.... I think that is talent! I could not text anything to anyone... that I guess will be his talent!
Cute new look BTW
LOVing the book too

S'mee said...

I went to take a computer class about 10 years ago. The first night they had us all sit and we had to take a typing test, we need 65WPM to keep our seat in the class. I panicked - I hunt and peck. I sat there next to my girlfriend who types like 483WPM and wanted to die. "O.K. Begin!"

I clicked away as fast as I could, stopping to correct my mistakes because accuracy was also part of the test. I was that amazed when we finished. Not only had I hunt and pecked my way to a 85, but it was clean! I was in!

NOt so much. The teacher came by and noticed how I typed and told me I couldn't stay because I NEEDED to type correctly. I asked her if I had made the mark and had a clean page? "Yes, but..." "Then you'll keep me or I'll go to the board over it. I met the requirements."

She let me stay, but threated me if I fell behind. I was always about 2 lessons ahead of the schedule. I HATED THAT CLASS! lol

I still hunt and peck, but look to my daughters who do it the corect way and fly!

Lisa M. said...

I am so glad, I can type. SO glad!

It is a good question!

I text a LOT, it is a great way to keep in touch with my daughter through out the day, but it will never take the place of a keyboard!

At least in my world!

*Grin*

Missed you-

I'm back-

Laura said...

Lisa--Just visited your blog--SO GLAD you are back!!