3/30/2006

10k okay?

I've decided that the last time I felt REALLY good, and felt I LOOKED really good was when I was running consistently. I kinda fell away from it for a while, but thanks to the spring weather (which brings summer clothes...), new music on my ipod-shuffle, an EXCELLENT/FREE day-care at my gym, and the need and calming of "alone" time, I am excited about being an avid runner, again.

I'm what you might call a "anti-social" runner...When I run, the minute the headphones go on and I begin the journey, I tune out EVERYTHING!! Despite the fact that I am running, I feel calm, relaxed, and peaceful (and let's not deny the fact that I'm hoping to run (literally) my butt off!!). My goal is to run a marathon...Yes...I said it...it's official...A MARATHON!! There are two big marathons around here that I could participate in, and if all else fails, the distance from me to my sister's house is the approximate length of a marathon.

Right now I am running about 6 miles, five times a week, so basically an hour a day. I'm going to work at getting my speed faster, as well as incorporating longer runs into my routine. I'm excited to have a goal...I've been looking for something to be working on, and this just seems to fit for so many reasons.

My motto? "10k everyday!"

3 comments:

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

FAB....U...LOUS!!!!!! I am so proud of you!!! That is my goal too! At this point, I will be glad to run a 5k. Which I am training for in July! You go girl! When I get to the point when I CAN run every day, I'll train for a marathon and we can do it together! How does that sound? That is not an idle threat either, my dear! Which marathon do you think you will do?

Laura said...

The gal who does my hair ran St. George last year, and she told me some "secrets" of the trade...
1) If you can run a 5k, then you can run a 10k...
2) If you can run 15 miles, then you can run a marathon...

She took a class from one of the long-distance coaches at BYU, and he said that if you can get your body conditioned to run a certain amount, then adrenaline and determination will get you thru the rest. A lot of people think they have to get to a point where they are running a full 20-26 miles before a marathon...but according to this coach, that is just asking for an injury BEFORE the actual event. So if you train to reach 15-16 miles, your body will be able to handle the rest (in other words...if you're going to get injured, at least do it on the day of the race! LOL)


I'm not sure which race I will end up pursuing...It's not so much saying "I ran St. George," as much as it is just KNOWING that I have ran the distance, in a timely manner, that equals a marathon...Does that make any sense? Like I said before...I'm very "non-sociable" about my running...It's like it's my own little "world" where I can create my own motivation, and goals...Sort of like my "secret treat," that I don't share with too many people...(Except cool "sistas" I meet on my blog!)

We'll see how it goes...Like I said before...It just feels good to have something to be working on!

Amy Lynn said...

You are amazing! Back in my leaner running days, I used to run 10K's and I loved 'em! I ran the Provo Half-Marathon and was MISERABLE! Physically I was great, but mentally I was bored to tears. People kept saying I'd want the marathon after but all I wanted was a tub of Ben and Jerry's and a good movie. But you better believe I will be standing at that marathon finish line in a pair of strappy, glitter stiletto shoes calling your name!!