5/19/2006

"Da Truth"


Okay..I've seen the movie...Here are my thoughts...

1) Overall grade: B-/C+
I'm really picky about movies, and although it was a good movie, pretty much followed the book, and had good character assignment, I felt that the book just didn't translate into a very good film. My husband who did not read the book, gave it a B+.

2) I really don't see what all the fuming is about. This is a fictional story, which made a great book, and caused many to think about the possibilities and "what if's" about Jesus. I have many friends who are upset that Christ is portrayed as being married, and having kids. This is interesting to me, because wasn't Jesus suppose to come and "show us by example" on how we should mirror our own lives? So to me, the part of Jesus being married and having children is not so controversial. I believe that he was married (probably to Mary M.), and did have children. Why would'nt he?

3) The interesting debate for me is how the movie raises the question of, "Was Jesus truly a divine being, or just a mortal man who did wonderful things, who developed a following, which evolved into Christianity?" Because of my own beliefs, I know that Jesus was the very/literal son of our Heavenly Father, and that during the time He was mortal, He did do many miraculous things (many of which cannot be explained logically). But the most evident and effectual thing He did was divine in nature, though He endured it while in the flesh...the Atonement.

I have a degree in Art History, as well as a testimony of the Gospel, and I have found it interesting on how the two can illuminate each other, or be found at polar opposites to each other. I believe that truth can be found in many ways, things, experiences, and philosophies. But sometimes, even many times, we need to rely on the faith of our own divinity within, which sometimes cannot be proved or refuted.

8 comments:

S'mee said...

Terrific post. I have had discussions with some of my friends where I have argued that there are no true miracles, only things we as (essentially idiot) mortals can't or haven't figured out yet. God (and the Godhead)have MUCH more knowledge that we do, and we are told even They can't break natural laws. Seems like a logical way to think about it.

One example: Virgin Birth. ummm, technically speaking, anyone who has gone through invetro fertilization could possibly produce a "virgin birth". What used to be thought of as a miracle (t.v., 'puters, the magic of David Blain, lol)once understood, becomes the everyday.

I am not saying that God, Christ, etc. cannot or do not perform "miracles" -just that perhaps someday we'll all sit around, have an "ah HAH!" moment and wonder what all the fuss was about.

Lisa M. said...

I have seen the movie too. WOO WOO I was suprised to have the chance to see it so soon, but I took my son up on the offer of a little date, and guess what, I thought it was worth the 3.50 to get in.

There were some holes for me, taht were explained in the book, but not in the movie. I noticed those.

I too liked the questions the movie brought up.

My question is, could Jesus Christ be the literal son of God, and AND have a family and literal son/daughter of his own?

I thought the human nature, and peace demonsrated at the end, were an added bonus.

I'll never understand the folks that you speak of S'mee. I have met them as well, but I'll never ever understand them.

I often wonder who you can look around this world and think it is all coincedence. Or how you can look at the face of your own child, and think "this just happens" Or... when the evening draws to a close and the sun sets in the western sky, only to appear again, scant hours later, one could not believe in a higher power.

To me, there is evidence, in spades.

Lisa M. said...

Oh, and what of the premise of a Heavenly Mother? How can we have a Son of God, with out the presence of A Mother of God.

If Jesus was truly either the literal or a figurative soul, how could he be with out a partner? Isn't that divine in nature?

Lisa M. said...

Oh, and what of the premise of a Heavenly Mother? How can we have a Son of God, with out the presence of A Mother of God.

If Jesus was truly either the literal or a figurative soul, how could he be with out a partner? Isn't that divine in nature?

Laura said...

S'mee: I think when we get our "celestial" eyes, there will be MANY a "ah hah" moments!!

Lisa: If Jesus was to be our example, and to experience all things, why is it so hard to fathom that despite his divine lineage, he married and had children in mortality? If you think about it...we are ALL children of God, Jesus just had the "divine DNA" as well. Even in mythology there have been "gods" who have led "mortal" lives, with mortal offspring (total tangent...it's the art historian in me!).

I totally agree with you about the "holes..." Just proves us right (again!) that the book is often (if not always) better than the movie!

As for daily affirmations of a divine creator at work, I am witness to them every minute, of every day, if I take the time to appreciate them!

I love my Heavenly Mother, even though I know (have faith of) nothing of her beyond her existence. I believe that our Heavenly Father loved her enough to NOT mention her, so she could not be defiled in any way (speech, profanity, false teachings, etc.)

LOVING the dialouge! Thank you all for commenting!

Jewel said...

Yolanda, I posed that phrase as a question and your assesment of it was right on. I would think he did have a family, it is very logical for me.

and Oh ya for the Haaa moments.

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

I agree with you 100%. Great minds think alike. I have not seen the movie yet, but I am excited to. I love the movies!

Amy Lynn said...

We read this book as part of a book group here and that is when I had to quit attending the book group. I just kept wanting to scream "IT IS FICTIONAL!" I think books that make us think are the only books really worth reading. I found the whole subject intriguing but certainly not worth all the commotion it created. I haven't seen the movie yet...I can't decide if I want to or not. I'm holding out for MI3! I think Tom Cruise is a looney bird but you can't beat a good thrill.