1/16/2007

Meme for Melissa

Okay Melissa...Here you go...

A) Four jobs I have had in my life:
1) Lagoon Amusement Park Division Coordinator...Yup...I was one of the "important" people walking around with a radio, and telling everyone what to do...I actually learned a TON about management (I was a coordinator over all the employees who worked the rides, and the lifeguards at the water-park), guest services (yelling at people who spit off the sky-ride), and working under pressure (power failures, gang knifing, people killed on rides, having drunk people yell at you, cougars killing their mates as the Wild Kingdom Train passes by...) PLUS, this job paid for my first two years of college ( I worked 40-50 hour weeks)
2) Retail Manager of the Women's, Intimate, Men's, Children's, SHOES, and Home Fashions. I was there for 6 years, and two babies. I don't think I would EVER work retail again...EVERY holiday, day before the holiday, the day after the holiday, you are working. And by the time I put in all the hours I needed to do my job, my "salary" was actually getting me minimum wage ( okay, I'm exaggerating...but not by much!!)
3) Janitor of a MLM company's building...My husband were newly married, and we thought this would be an "easy" night time gig that would only take 2-3 hours a night, and bring in some extra income. WELL...after my mop knocking over a huge vase in the foyer, picking up rancid leftovers on desks, and managing not to hurl every time I cleaned the men's room. REALLY...are men really this disgusting? It looked like toddlers learning how to go potty, times 100. I cleaned up smeared sh** on one of the toilets once...How can you NOT notice that? Needless to say, we quit after about a month. (I'm surprised we lasted that long!)
4) Museum Docent at the BYU Museum of Art during their first exhibit..."The Etruscans"...which equated into "big whoop." Instead of getting King Tut, or some other legendary exhibit to show the opening year, they choose a group of people that even I did not enjoy (they existed before, and slightly around the time of the Greeks...which are MUCH more interesting...See places I would rather be...) as an Art History major. But, it was fun to direct and show people all the exhibits...it just wasn't THAT fun! (Oh, might I add that it was a VOLUNTEER job...as many of the positions were at the museum...Heaven forbid BYU to actually PAY a struggling student...I cringed every time I get an alumni letter asking for money--all mine was given for my education!)

B) Four movies I would watch over and over:
1) "The Chronicles of Riddick"---Vin Diesel ROCKS!!
2) "50 First Dates"--I usually hate Adam Sandler movies, but I ADORE this story-line and the concept of making someone fall in love with you every day...
3) "A Beautiful Mind"--Russell Crowe was robbed of an Oscar that year! (they feebly tried to make up for it by giving it to him for "Gladiator" the next year...)
4) "The Village"--Not so much for the story line, or the supposed "shocker," but because of the unmentionable love between Ivy and Lucius, which is shown by subtle actions like holding a hand...sitting on a porch (the BEST scene!!) or complete silence. (Plus it doesn't hurt that Joaquin Phoenix is the lead...)
5) I had to add this last one, which is actually one of my top 3 favorite films...but it is not one that I could watch over and over because I sob when I see it...it's "A Beautiful Life." It's an amazing story of the strength and love of a father, who is trying to make a horrendous situation livable for his son...Bring tissues!

C) Four places I have lived:
1) Chula Vista, California (on border of California by Tijuana)
2) Fort Collins, Colorado
3) Spokane, Washington
4) Farmington, Utah
5) ...but I was "made" in Japan!!

D) Four TV shows I love to watch:
1) "The Office"--ADDICTED!
2) "Grey's Anatomy"--I BAWLED when Denny died
3) "Prison Break"--Something my husband "made" me watch one night, and we are now anxiously awaiting the Season Premiere on Monday!!
4) "The King of Queens"--9pm week nights, on channel 12, I watch any re-run, and try to catch the new episodes when I can.

E) Four places I have been on vacation:
1) Los Gatos, California--We would visit my father's parents. They lived on this huge hill, with a winding dirt road that took you to the top where you saw an old, Spanish-style villa, barns, cows, chickens, rabbits, and alligator lizards. It was a pretty run-down place, but it had MAGIC nestled within it. My Grandpa would swing us on the huge swing he put in a tree, situated over a bluff...You would soar out over the edge, looking down into the valley. There was always "Juicy Fruit" gum available, as well as "Gummy" treats--bears, worms, etc. The BEST thing was my Grandpa's popcorn with his "secret" seasoning. He never would tell us what was in it, but it was a taste so magnificent, yet indescribable. We all thought that he would live forever, so when he passed away of a heart attack suddenly, it happened before anyone was able to get the recipe out of him!!
2) Santa Cruz, California. We would go to the boardwalk which has amusement rides and shops, and then, take two steps and be on the beach!! I would take fresh lemons from my uncles lemon tree, and put it on my hair to make it blonder. We would end the day by going to the "rifle booth," and seeing who could shoot the most points.
3) Tremonton, Utah--We would visit my other set of grandparents, and they were FUN!! My grandfather owned a horse farm, so we could always count on him for rides on the Shetland pony, Black Diamond, and then when we were older, the quarterhorse, Candyjola. My grandmother is where I get my..."use" of colorful language...She has soft, red hair, which perfectly matches the fire in her heart! Plus, she always gave us sips of her Pepsi light (we weren't allowed to drink caffeine)
4) Disneyland, via my husband's business trips...I went for my first time 2 years ago!

F) Websites I visit daily: (or semi-weekly)
1) other's Blogs
2) Bank
3) check my own blog to see if anyone is listening
4) Fandango (twice a month)

G ) Four of my favorite foods:
1) Sushi at the "Happy Sumo", with edamame.
2) Matcha Green Tea Blast at "Jamba Juice."
3) The Onion Rings at "Good Wood," SERIOUSLY the best!
4) a cold Route 44 Diet Vanilla Coke from Sonic! It's hilarious to see all the moms pulling into Sonic for a drink before the kids come home!

H) Four places I would rather be right now:
1) Out of debt.
2) In my new house..hopefully coming by September 2007! When we DO get in our new house, we WILL have ALL of our debt paid off...So I REALLY want...
3) ...To be signing the closing papers of selling our current home, for the price we picked.
4) On a beach (Greece), on a lounger, with my husband, watching my kids play in the surf, looking at the Parthenon in the distance!!

Sorry...but I'm not into "chain letters", send "five emails to five friends" type of gal! But know that I LOVE reading about all of you, and hope you now know me a little better!

1 comment:

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

OK, It's getting eerie how alike we are. Same movies, Same tv shows. I love all you picked. I just didn't list them all!

Good luck on the house! Are you building? That is hard work!

Sorry I haven't commented before now! I am not used to you posting this often but I will be more diligent if you will!

Seriously, reading your posts is really one of the high lights of my day.