4/18/2008

Fang, a Trip to Timp, and Pennywise

I don't know why...but yesterday morning I checked the KSL.com classifides...After over a year of trying to get one, I am proud to say, we are the owner of a new Wii system...

We needed to meet our "dealer" to make the exchange. You know the commercials, where the two immaculately groomed Asian guys appear on your doorstep, handing you the controls? Well, picture their long, lost brother...Shifty, anxious, nervous, agitated, no bowing, no eye contact and my husband, totally spiffed up (we were on our way to the temple!) with a wad of cash...Any law enforcement would have to assume that something was "going down."

After we got our prize from Fang (yes...his real name), we headed up to do our session at the temple. We were discussing the logic of "because we were going to the temple, we were being blessed...la la la" We decided that we wanted to use the Wii as a tool for spiritual growth... well...let's be honest...and our personal amusement!

We decided that we would do the classic "door-bell ditch." We were coming up with what we could write on the note. Here were the top contenders:

The Good:
"Blessings come from going to the temple...Keep up the good work! From-the Three Nephites"

The Better:
"Thanks for letting your parents attend the temple...From-Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego"
(characters from one of our kids favorite Veggie Tales)

The Best:
"I've been watching the good things you do...Thanks for letting your parents go to the temple...Remember...I'll be watching! From-Pennywise (From the tv movie "It," and the reason why my kids fear clowns...especially those that hide in caves with spiders)

Since we didn't want them bearing their testimonies in church about how the "three Nephites brought them a Wii since their parents went to the temple...," the Shad, Mesh and Abe story just wasn't satisfying enough,...and although it would of been hilarious to watch their reactions, the Pennywise angle would of not been funny at all when all three kids are sleeping in your bed for the next week!

So...we went with the plan, and the safe..."Blessings come when you go to the temple"

We rang the doorbell...
Hid on the side of the house...
Heard the "OH MY GOSH!!!!!" "AAAAHHHHH!!!" "A Wii!!!" and my favorite, "This has Mom written all over it!"

A very satisfying evening for all.

6 comments:

Kim Allsup said...

That was flipp'n cute! I love the idea of "door-bell ditch".... how fun for them! I was laughing more at the thought of the two of you trying to come up with the card and the hidding!
I would have been very sad if you said it got stolen out of the car at the temple!
I've been doing your order today and I like it--I hope you do!

Laura said...

Yeah...the ditching part was hysterical in and of itself...I had on these high-heeled wedge sandals, and I was tripping EVERYWHERE in our landscaping!! Anyone peeking out their window had quite a show!

S'mee said...

how fun!

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

You will love it! We love ours! I'm constantly yelling at the kids to pick it up and put it away!

It will make your arms sore so be careful! The boxing is great! We actually love all the games though.

Congrats! Have fun and sweet dreams (no clowns)

Trish said...

I love the "this has mom written all over it" part...says you're doing something pretty darn right if you ask me...you are such a fun mom!

Philip Lybbe Powys said...

Hey Laura,
We miss you, Andy and the kids. Julie wants to shoot the family portrait she owes you. Call us.
Mark M.