10/22/2008

Secret Wish


Many (many) years ago...I was "one of those girls," who dedicated 2-3 days a week to ballet...I was in the "advanced" class, with all the long and lean ballerinas and their pink pointe shoes...I used to fantasize about the day I would be like them...I used to dream about when my boobs would shrink and disappear (I was filling a nice B-cup very, VERY early!) and some of my curvy areas would melt away...Yes, there were the "weigh-ins," where you tried your hardest not to look at the teacher as you stepped onto the scale...BUT...I LOVED it (the ballet, not the weigh-ins)!! To this day one of my guilty pleasures is the movie "Center Stage," because it whisks me away to yesterday!

In Jr. High and High School, it was less ballet, and more JAZZ (look out Paula Abdul!) It wasn't until I was taking a Jazz class at BYU, that the instructor (who DID choreograph for Paula!) asked me if I had studied Ballet? The reason? My extension was obvious, and my instantly pointed toes were sure give aways of past training. I hadn't really thought about it, but at that moment, I MISSED ballet!

Then you get married...you work and finish school...work...have a kid...work...have a kid...become a SAHM...infertility...4 years...have a kid...and somewhere between being a wife, mom, "Sista!" in your church callings, and friend, you slowly lose parts of a former life...a former "you?"

So...A couple of weeks ago I signed up for a Pilates class at the facility where my daughter takes dance...I LOVE it!! Last week, I went early and noticed they had an Adult Ballet class going on the hour before my Pilates class...Instinctively, I knew what I would do...

After talking to the instructor, who is also my Pilates instructor, I was on a high! I found out that since I have background in the fundamentals, and since adult training can be different than that of your adolescents, that I might be able to find myself in POINTE SHOES in the near future!!!

Last week I timidly went to the "dance store?" I was instantly mesmorized by leotards, skirts, ballet slippers, pointe shoes, leg warmers, and everything "ballet!" Now, I was LESS mesmorized by myself in those items in the dressing room...but none the less, still very excited and elated to begin this journey!

So...In a little over an hour...I will go to my first class, followed by my always-a-delight Pilates class...

The Nutcracker will be even better this year!!

6 comments:

Kim Allsup said...

I was on out school's drill team for 4 years and I catch myself doing some of my old "MOVES" for my kids! they just think I'm crazy. I think I lost all my rhythm with each kid.
Good for you!

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

OH MY WORD!!!!!!! I am SO happy for you! There is nothing better than getting back to your "old" self.

I feel the same way. I used to play my guitar and perform all the time. I loved it. I wrote music all the time.

When I got married, I bought a beautiful guitar and never even practice it now! There just isn't time for everything I love.

I miss it. One day, I'll have more time. Right now, I'd rather strike it rich as an author!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I am SO excited for you and envious. Good luck. And we should get together and watch Center Stage because it's one of my little secret pleasures because it takes me back to those days as well. Keep us posted!

Laura said...

I remember when we went and saw Center Stage at the movie theater!! That seems like just yesterday!!

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa M. said...

That is just very neat. How fun.

I took thirteen years of ballet.

How fun it would be to reconnect!