1/01/2010

Gwen Stefani to Colada Pie

I had a wonderful birthday! 29 for the 11th time was simply charming! It began with honeyed toast and clementine oranges in bed. This was followed by opening my gift---a new alarm clock with TWO alarms (for those of us who need to be "gently" awakened) AND a place for my iphone to charge, and SPEAKERS to play my songs on! RAD RAD RAD gift!

I then hastily left my family, and went with my sister to a wonderful lunch at the Cheesecake Factory, where I had this:
It is their "Bang Bang Chicken and Shrimp" in a delightful, slightly spicy, curry and coconut dish. I had mine over just the veggies (no rice), as I was saving all my "carbs" for what REALLY mattered, which was this

Can you say "White Chocolate Raspberry?!"

Since we were so full (every part of my body felt bloated) we decided to go "burn" off the calories with a rigorous workout---SHOE SHOPPING!!

There is nothing more beautiful than the shoe department at Nordstroms...

And lucky for us, there were SALES!

As I perused the department, looking for "that" shoe that I didn't need, I saw the display...

This is what I saw:
Gwen Stefani...L.A.M.B...shiver...sigh...

I knew I shouldn't....I knew I should just walk away...I knew no good would come of it....

But I tried on a pair, anyway....

You would not believe the justifying that went on in my head...justifying a car payment for these shoes (that would go with ANY outfit short of pajamas!)

They felt like buddah on my feet...I could walk miles in them...and look OH SOOOO GOOD!!

I put them on hold.....and RAN!!! (Sorry to the cute salesman who probably thought I just paid for half of his commission check!)

BUT....I did buy:

AND...


After exhausting ourselves, and deciding that there are NO true knee length denim skirts for sale despite the fact that we are in Utah, we headed home (and don't say "Down East Outfitters," because if you are not short in stature, and have any height, these don't work unless you wear them on your hips!)

I got home to find a happy family that had been sledding. MIA were my husband, and daughter.

An hour later, they walked in...With a birthday cake signed with "Happy Birthday, #29??"
and a quart of MOCHA MUDSLIDE icecream!!
Many people say, "Oh, your must have SOME PARTY on your birthday?!" or "The world celebrates your birthday!" Don't even get me started on the psychological effects of being a child with a post-Christmas December birthday! And if the world was truly celebrating my birthday, wouldn't I get a lot more gifts?

Since 2009 was TOO eventful, I wanted calmness and stillness for my birthday evening. So we ended up watching "Minority Report" as a family (totally random). Nothing beats cuddling under quilts, a big screen tv, surround sound, and a movie!

Before the evening wind-down happened, my sister stopped by. In her hand was a pie plate. I knew what she had even before looking down at it. Colada Pie... This is no regular pie. This is a pie that takes time, meticulous efforts, and dedication to make. Cream, butter, sugar, banana, more dense cream, pecans, toasted coconut with chocolate (milk and dark) drizzled all over, on a thick and flaky pie crust. This was the pie I would request from my brother to make for me each year, in lieu of a birthday cake. I was holding the treat I looked forward to more than any gift each year, and the person who gave it was no longer here. "Dan would want you to have this" my sister said. We hugged and wept. Although I'm sure it tastes divine, I cannot bring myself to eat any...My brother's big, powerful, masculine hands, that could work magic with any culinary delights...now missing from the world...

I am truly eager for the new year! I look towards happiness, health, peace and prosperity. I am grateful for all that I have. I am grateful for everything from Gwen Stefani to Colada Pie...but especially all the stuff in between!!

5 comments:

Whitney said...

Happy Birthday! I loved this post! I am super jealous of all the yummy treats your had! I love you and Happy New Year!

Melissa Cunningham said...

What a fabulous birthday! I love days like that! I LOVED those shoes you have posted too. How did you ever resist?

I LOVE buying new shoes. Perfume is my latest thing though. Just bought Dolce and Gabana's "Of the Rose," I think it's called. Love it. I also plan to buy "Juicy." Another favorite. (Had a Dillard's gift certificate)

Anyway, one of these days, we'll get together and do some shopping! LOVE YOU!

Steph said...

Loved this post too! Okay those l.a.m.b pumps ohhhhh my! I do like those others pairs you bought though!! I cried reading how your sister brought you that pie so touching . I love you guys hope you had a great birthday I'm looking forward to a less eventful year as well !

Grammy Cindy said...

Happy Birthday! I love you.

Amanda said...

Happy B Day! Looks like it was a great one.