2/10/2006

Honesty...The best policy?

I have many things in my life that I believe in...My family, the gospel, SHOES, being healthy, Diet Mountain Dew, talking with friends, days at the spa, time spent alone, a good cry...But one of my most instinctual, down to the core, often times blunt, is my automatic reflex to be a bearer of truth. almost without fail.

Now...this does not include surprise parties, Santa Clause, or any thing of that nature. i just think that the truth is always better than "fluff," "beating around the bush," or not saying what EVERYONE is really thinking. Yeah...I'm a little on the "tough" side, and although I would rather have the unedited version, I know there are those who do not like this "upfront" demeanor.

My philosophy is this: I wouldn't be a true friend, or really love someone, if I wasn't upfront with them. I replay in my mind on one occasion when I had gone from a really dark hair color, to a color I fondly remember as "orange creme-cicle." As I went around looking for some much needed opinion, I got responses like, "YOU are the type of person who could pull this look off..." or "WOW...it's a big change...but it looks...FUN!" Only ONE of my friends actually owned-up, and told me the truth..."Laura, it looks like an orange creme-cicle." (THANK YOU!!)

Now I realize that there are things much deeper than hair color that people may ask for response about...Husbands, jobs, finances, children, depression, testimony, body-image...These things can be the base for so many other aspects of our lives. BUT...does that mean that we should "hide" our true feelings, instead of addressing them? Now I do realize there is a kind or "nice" way of saying the truth, and there is a rougher, or "meaner" version...and I do believe that no matter what the truth is, it can be told with gentleness, and politeness...

So...when my dear friend who has the body of a model is complaining about her "figure" and telling me that she can relate to my qualms (and my size 10), I should agree?! Or should I threated to whip up my shirt and show her my "extra jiggle" pouch and tell her to play her violin elsewhere?!! If my non-active friend is looking for reasons why she "can't" go to the temple, yet desires to so badly, shouldn't I tell her how I feel and bear her my testimony and tell her to "get to it!"? Or should I just say "it will happen, when it happens..."

I once had someone say to me, "Sometimes I just need to have a friend hold up a mirror and tell me what I NEED to hear..." Well...I guess I'm not THAT type of friend, because if it is not going to help you, support you, or make you a better person, I won't help someone into an illusion...

Honesty...The best policy? In my book...YES!

(Shoes of the day? Today I wore my creme, Converse "All Star" slip-ons...I love these because they are SO COMFORTABLE, you don't have to worry about any shoe-laces, and they add that little "retro-spunk" to any outfit!)

2 comments:

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

I agree whole heartedly. In my family we are pretty blunt. I have learned with my own little family to tone it down but with the same results. I Hate it when people beat around the bush. Christ always told it like it was which offended those who really weren't interrested. My husband and I have a great relationship because we CAN tell eachother the truth and not be offended by it. It makes for a quick resolve!
Is your name Laura? Was that a slip? I cought it!

Laura said...

I love your point about Christ...I too, believe that relationships can be strengthened, and precious time not wasted trying to "figure out" what the other person said/means!!

Yes..My name is Laura..."Yolanda" is a nickname my husband gave me!! Glad you "caught" it!