5/28/2006

Sunday Spirit

Today was my Sunday to teach in Gospel Doctrine. The discussion was on Ruth and Hannah in the Old Testament. I had worried that my lesson may fall a little short of the time allotted, so I asked a few people to share with the class a personal experience that could be liken to that of Ruth or Hannah...Little did I know how the spirit would unconsciously guide me in choosing these people...

One brother shared how his mother cared for her alcoholic mother...Another of how his father-in-law had been stricken with cancer, but continued to have more concern with those around him, than in his worsening condition.

The two people I asked to speak about Hannah really bore testimony of how the spirit can guide you, even when you are unaware of its doing so. I had these two names come to mind, and now I know why they did...

The brother shared how his "dear, sweet, wife" had been told early in their marriage that she would not be able to have children...He smiled...Then said that through priesthood blessings, they were able to have five children, and now have five grand-children...I stood trying to stay composed (I'm a crier)...I had no idea of this background as I had extended the brother his assignment to speak of Hannah. I now know why he had said, "What a beautiful story," after I had asked him.

The sister I had share her thoughts about Hannah, I had forgotten had lost a son at the young age of 14, to a brain tumor. She told how her own mother had always taught her that "children are not 'their parents' or 'their own'," in that we simply have stewardship over them, to raise and guide them back to our Heavenly Father (just as Hannah gave her son to God...) This sister shared how when her son was born, that in a priesthood blessing, he was described as a "child of promise." She spoke of not knowing what "promise" he had kept, but in knowing that he was perhaps doing it for her? his siblings? their family? I again was desparetely trying to keep my composure, as I listened to her sweet testimony of giving ALL to our Heavenly Father, for righteousness' sake.

I marvel how the spirit guided me to these individuals, and allowed the spirit to burn within the hearts of those in the classroom. I am so grateful for the lessons we learn in the bible, as well as the testimonies of others that bear witness of their truths.

"Ye cannot behold with your natural eyes, for the present time, the design of your God concerning those things which shall come here-after, and the glory which shall follow after much tribulation." (D&C 58:3)

Since I'm going to be listing some favorite "S" words for Lisa, I thought I would preclude a special one...That being the word "spirit," for that is truly what I felt today.

3 comments:

Lammy said...

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing it! :) I missed church yesterday... so I'm sad I missed the lessons on these women--they're some of my favorite.
((Hugs))

S'mee said...

totoally awesome post, thanks

S'mee said...

what the heck did I write???? that should be totally awesome!