10/05/2006

My Monument of Worms

I have been in a "mood" lately...I cannot properly put into words the frustration, irritation, anger, and destitude I have felt the past few weeks.

After some testing, my Endriconologist found that my thyroid is under-active...which most women DREAM of happening, because it can make you hold onto or gain a lot of weight, even if you ate nothing at all...Well, I was happy at first, because I had gained about 15 pounds during the past three months, and could not figure out why (not my eating habits, I was running/exercising regularly), as well as not sleeping well at night, which made me fatigued during the day, which was not helping my overall "happiness" equation!

I started taking the new medication, only to have my hair trauma (see "Bad hair day" post), acne worse than any High School experience, carpel tunnel at night, my blood sugar to raise (have I mentioned I'm diabetic?), and I GAINED 4 MORE POUNDS the first two weeks on I was on it!! After waiting 5 weeks, to see the "full" effects of the new medication, I weighed myself to find out that I had gained ANOTHER 4 pounds...That is 15+4+4 (you do the math!) I called my endriconologist and made an appointment.

After more tests, a change in medication (did you know that some generic replacements in prescriptions can have a -50% to a +115% range of effectiveness compared to the name brand? I found this out the hard way!) and going over all my new symptoms, the tests came back with the following news...My kidneys are not working fully!

Now...this might not be an immediate, life-altering predicament right now, but it hit me very hard...I have ALWAYS taken VERY good control of my diabetes, so it would never rule my life. I have been able to have three beautiful children, run and be active and involved in every aspect of life, and always had people be VERY surprised to find out I'm a diabetic. Along with this, my brother, who is not a diabetic, had his kidneys fail when he was 17, and was on dialysis until he was 20. So, when I took in all of this, I was very angry that I was not in control of my body...That all the hard work of monitoring and regulating my diabetes, eating right, and exercising was for naught, because my kidneys are not cooperating anyways!!

Then came Conference, and the general feeling/message was TAILOR MADE for me!! Many times during the talks, I heard "everyone has trials, hardships, issues, etc." which they need to "master and endure in this lifetime"...and we each need to bascially, "endure it well."

"Endure it well..." Hit me like a slap in the face...Christ suffered through everything...EVERYTHING...and I'm sitting here denying the suffering He did on MY behalf.

This is one of my favorite poems. You can find it in the front of the book, "Charlie's Monument" by Blaine M. Yorgason.

God, before he sent his children into the world,

gave each of them a carefully selected package of problems.


"These, "He promised smiling, "are yours alone.

Only you have the special talents and abilities

that will make these problems your servants,

and no one else may have the blessing these problems will bring you."


"So, go down to your birth, and to your forgetting.

Know that I love you beyond measure.

The problems I give you are a token of my love."


"The monument you make of your life,

with the help of your problems,

will be a token of your love for me."


Your Father


So many times we get caught up "eating worms..." Yes...I have some scary health issues...Yes...I am now taking EIGHT (did I studder?) medications...but I must be experiencing this for a reason...I am not perfect...and I KNOW I will complain again...but...I need to have the faith, and humility, to make the "package" my Father gave me, into my strengths.








8 comments:

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

I lOVE YOUR WRITING. I loved that talk in conference too. Physical problems always feel so huge because they are constantly in your face.

These dang bodies of ours. They are certainly teaching us some powerful lessons.

I am here for you. Keep up your healthy lifestyle and try not to get too down.

This too will pass.

The only thing that helps me sometimes is to remember that this is only temporary. We'll be home before we know it!

Hey, give me all the details of your minivan. How much room is in the back? Maybe you could email me some pictures.

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

PS. remember that even if your body isn't perfect, your spirit IS!

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

Hey gal! I was wondering how to contact you. If you want, email me at mcunn@comcast.net.

If you go to kbb.com, they tell you your blue book on your car. Since I don't know what kind of quest you have, you could let me know. there are 3 models of quests.

I'm anxious to get a car. Could you let me know soon? I think it's GREAT you want to sell your beautiful car to me. That is, if it is what I am looking for. Wouldn't that be cool?

Laura said...

Before I go too far, let me talk to hubby...I need to make sure that we will be getting into another car before I sell the one we have!! So...if another car becomes available, and it's what you need, take it...I would hate to have you miss an opportunity waiting for me!

BUT...I will email you info anyway!!

S'mee said...

All I can add is that I admire you for what you can control and for your willingness to let go of what you cannot. It is frustrating when you think you have a handle on your personal situations only to have something blindside you so very quickly.

Melissa has some great advice! You are fortunate to be surrounded by such wise friends.

Lisa M. said...

I enjoyed this entry.

I am diabetic too. Did you know that for a very long time, I convinced myself that Ethan's issues were because I didn't take good care of myself, sugar wise.

It took about 3,000.00 and a team of Docs to convince me otherwise. (I never had an A1C over 6) But I just knew it was something *I* had done.

I am glad you investigated, further and found out what was at the bottom of your symptoms. SO often in life, we push things aside, and usually our bodies are trying to tell us something.

Good, really good for you.

Conference was fantastic.

AND,so are you.

Anonymous said...

I MISS YOU! PLEASE WRITE SOMETHING ! ARE YOU OK?

Lisa M. said...

I so need something new.

*SMILE*