2/02/2007

"To Do" Lists...The Black Hole of Guilt


I am a connoisseur of the "To Do" lists...I always seem to have AT LEAST three scattered around my home, one in my scriptures, and a few in my purse. I enjoy the sense of (false though it may be) organization these lists give me. But there is something strangely ironic in them, for the mere fact that I don't really need a list to tell me that I will ALWAYS have things to do, and that I have yet to REALLY sit down and write ALL the things I need "to do" on a hourly, daily, monthly, or yearly basis. Do you realize how LONG this list would be?! Do you realize how overwhelmed and hopeless I would feel if I actually had to ACCOMPLISH everything jotted down on the list?

Why do we (especially us moms) do this to ourselves? I was at my book club the other night, and it was amazing to hear how all of us felt like we were not doing enough...and if we were...that we were not doing it RIGHT. (This group contains Relief Society Presidents, Writing Editors, Models, Magazine Reps, Corporate Managers, Psyche Nurses, Charter School mentors, chemo-survivors, visiting teachers, Gospel Doctrine Teachers, YW leaders, Primary leaders, wives, and, oh yeah...MOTHERS!)

So...I think we should re-work the "to do" list...Instead of anxiously writing down all those things which we feel we "missed the boat" at doing, let's celebrate all the things that we DO accomplish each day! For some days...getting out of bed is a major feat, and should be celebrated...On other days...tackling a project with vigor and zeal, and then being able to stand back and rejoice in the work of your hands...And on other days...being able to help someone else cross a "to do" off their list...which often makes your own list seem more obtainable.

6 comments:

Suzie Petunia said...

This is why I make my "To Do" lists AFTER I've accomplished what is written on them. Immediate feeling of accomplishment. For Example:

To Do:
Comment on Yolanda's blog because it has been far too long. CHECK!

Laura said...

I am HONORED to be anywhere NEAR your "To Do" lists!!

Hope this will " reconnect " us!!

Lisa M. said...

Suz,

You are so not going to come between me and my flake.

Don't even think about it.

*grinning*

-----

I always put funny things on my list. For instant, today's...

Ethan's Cares 02/03/07

Hamstring stretches
Camando Crawling excersizes
Bath
Eat Apple, Yes Lisa, you need one!
Ethan's Medications
blah blah

you get the picture.

It just makes things so much better.

*chuckle*

Amy Lynn said...

Ah yes...the "to-do" list. The funny part is that I just typed a 15 item to-do list before I read your blog. I may go tear it up. But then I'd be up all night sweating about the to-do list and the fact that I need another list that would start with "Tape the ripped up to-do" list.

There isn't enough therapy in the world to straighten me out.

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

I have used a Franklin since I was in high school. I have tried numerous times to stop. I hate carrying around a bulky planner. I would love a cute, sexy, little purse.

It has never worked. I can't stand to not have everything I need at my fingertips at all times! I don't make a list every day anymore. I got tired of not crossing it all off! But I do like to be organized!

Sorry it took so long to write. I haven't been on the computer in the last few days!

Lisa M said...

Was I on crack last time I commented here?


Good hell.

Yo, my darlin.. I just love ya.