12/30/2007

Apparently...Carly Simon resides in Utah


"You're, SO VAIN!! I bet you think this song is about you?!..."


Utah's new anthem! WHY do you ask? Because, Salt Lake City, as declared by Forbes magazine, has been declared the "most VAIN" city in the United States! (Utah is also the most depressed state in the USA...but THAT is another post, altogether!!)

Michelle Lehnardt wrote today, in the Salt Lake Tribune:

"I admit to being quite vain myself. I run several miles daily, pluck my eyebrows, apply wrinkle/acne cream each night and spend far too much time and money on my wardrobe."

"And to some degree my vanity brings me happiness. I know from experience that I am much happier showered and dressed nicely even if my day consists of nothing more than grocery shopping and tending sick children. I love the vigor and agility that decades of fitness have given me. I know that I am kinder and gentler with other people when I feel good about myself."

"But I've seen the darker side of my vanity when I obsess over flaws and pounds and become self-consumed. In these times depression haunts me as I become jealous and anxious."

"When I was expecting my third son, I called my husband from the doctor's office. "I've gained 10 pounds this month! I'm so fat! What is wrong with my body?"

"In his sweet but firm way, my husband replied,"You are pregnant. You are supposed to gain weight. There's nothing wrong with you. If you want to see someone whose body has turned on her go up to LDS Hospital to see your friend Anne in the cancer ward. She would be happy to have those 10 pounds."

"My friend Anne died of cancer the next day. She was 28 years old and left a loving husband and darling 3 year old daughter behind. Anne never had the chance to grow old and flabby and gray."

"I'd like to say that after Anne's death I never whined about my weight or appearance again, but, sadly, I still complain."

"Yet, in my heart I know that wrinkles and gray hair are the rewards of a life and love and laughter. Bring it on. I will happily lose my looks for the pleasure of raising my children."

"Ah, Salt Lake. I am glad we are so beautiful. It's lovely to live in a city that strives for excellence. But let's be sure our desire for beauty and success don't cloud our happiness. We simply have so much to live for."


I LOVED THIS ARTICLE!!


In church today, the Bishopric spoke of finding gratitude and happiness in our lives...Seeing how the Lord has blessed us in all we have. It is too easy to say "whoa is me...I'm 20 pounds overweight...I don't have my dream job...Parenting is hard...I'm afflicted with health problems...I feel sadness...Things never go my way..." The Counselor then said, "Do you think the Lord wants to hang out with a person who is such a downer? a moper? a sad story?"

Before church, I had knelt in prayer, wallowing in my own "pity party." Then I went to church, and had this lesson given "just for me!?"


We all have things we'd like to change, and no more than at the beginning of a new year do we think of change more often. Goals are good...but don't let the "what if's" or "I can'ts" keep you from feeling the spirit of gratefulness for all we have.

In the name of all New Year's resolutions...

"It's not about YOU...but how you decide to LIVE!"

Let's ring in the New Year with happiness, joy, and love, for all that we DO have.

6 comments:

S'mee said...

I think somewhere in the many many programs and talks we LDS have been to, some of us have misinterpreted the messages.

We had this discussion just last night. The difference of "the ideal" and how it effects some.

I think the leadership of the church teaches us that we are representatives of the Lord and should present ourselves in the best possible light. Dress well, eat well, speak well, etc. All so that others seeing us will want to seek out the Gospel and find the benefits of the Lord as well.

Somewhere along the way we adopt the world's view of this goal and it becomes a measurement for self evaluation, skewed perfection, and self doubt.

I remember Sister Barbara Thompson remarking at Women's Conf. that, among other things, one of her first thoughts after being called was that there was no way she could lose 100 lbs. in 4 days. Even she feels that need to be slim or the feeling of judgment that comes without being "perfect".

I think our best goal would be to try and *be* that representative...just as it was intended; filled with happiness and joy, and without the worldly view and pressure.

(please forgive the loooong comment)

Laura said...

I LOVE long comments--especially when they are YOURS!! It's GREAT to hear from you.

Robyn said...

Yolanda, I loved this post. I'm glad you brought it to our attention, as I wouldn't have known about the Forbes designation at all. I like your observations.

Kim Allsup said...

The first trip to walmart here in Ok I thought people looked so different then the people in Ut. Something about them just looked run down and tired. When I went back for vacation and went into Macy's I thought that everyone looked the same... same shirts, hair style, just the same and not different... I wondered if I moved back would I think that I would have to look the same way?
Maybe it is just that people want to look nice and be presentable in public and here no one cares?? and if you were to go into Macy's without makeup someone you knew would see you, but here no one knows who I am.
I don't know if that makes sences but just some thoughts I have had.

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

I take a little break and you have tons of posts! I love it!

This was a great post. I can see both sides.

I too think we get too caught up in "looking good". I find myself feeling that way at times.

Although up here in quiet little Honeyville, we are a little more lax about having to look or be a certain way. I noticed it when I moved here and love it now that I have been here a while.

I think country people do tend to be more earthy and I like that. Not having to impress anyone.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I love you. Thanks for hearing what I was really trying to say.

Michelle