12/03/2008

I'm Trying to be like Jesus...


So...have you read the latest Ensign and New Era?

I believe the line has been drawn, and I've known for years which side I have been on...

I was browsing the New Era December edition, and there it was...A huge article on ENERGY drinks (not a problem) as well as CAFFINATED drinks (problem?). I told myself, "Yeah...the youth really shouldn't be drinking that stuff..." I kinda equated it with the "NoDoz" phase of my teen years. But then, I went to read the new Ensign...

BLAM!! Five full pages of "Laura, this one's for you!!" (the following is MY interpretation, and is how I AM reacting to its message...) I've known for years the gray line I've walked....I'm not one of those who have to have their 44 ounce mugs constantly full...but, I've attributed it to " I don't have many options, since I'm a diabetic...there is not a lot of diet Sprite on tap!!" to other self-appointed beliefs of "it helps settle my stomach....it helps with my migraines...." But, all the way, I've known it to be true...My yummy Diet Dr Pepper, or Diet Mountain Dew, or Sonic Diet Coke with Vanilla was just a marvelous and intoxicating mirage...The line has now definitely been drawn, and I have to choose a side...

I know I have plenty that I need to work on...So as I considered the articles, of course I thought the eloquent, "if this is the WORSE thing I do...." statement. Then my dear husband came home. I showed him the articles...and I waited. This would be my moral compass on the issue...which I thought would definitely fall on a pre-conceived side (my man works HARD for the money, and sometimes works 20 hour days...hence his delight in beverages that allow him to work HARD for the money for those 20 hour days...). I surely thought he'd say, "well...we aren't addicted....I do it for work, you do it for health choices..." or something like that....

"I'm done...I'm not drinking it (caffeine) any more..."

What?!

This was the clincher for my husband...and probably should have been for me...in the article it stated, "...the Word of Wisdom does not specifically prohibit caffeine. However, I believe that if we follow the spirit of the Word of Wisdom, we will be very careful about what we consume, particularly any substance that can have a negative impact on our bodes..."

Then, I thought of a recent talk I gave at a Stake Young Women Conference...and one of my favorite scripture references I had quoted...

"And behold, the watchman upon the tower would have seen the enemy while he was afar off; and then ye could have made ready and kept the enemy from breaking down the hedge thereof, and saved my vineyard fromt he hands of the destroyer." (D&C 101:54)

We DO have a watchman...Pres. Monson...He knows what's coming...We are simply down among the hedges, presuming our safety...Whether it's drinks, modesty issues, or morality, HE KNOWS what the adversary will strike at to make us less than what we are!

I figure, it's time to draw the line, and be on the right side! (At least I know this is one less thing to worry about!)

So...farewell my sweet elixirs...hello to Fresca and other mouth-watering liquid Meccas...

(We even made it a family statement...so now I KNOW I'm bound, because I have three extra pairs of eyes, ever-vigilant for the cause!!)

6 comments:

Steph said...

I read that article after seeing your post! I think your awesome and support you 100 percent with your new goal! I'll keep an eye on you too! :) love you

Laura said...

Yeah...So when I show up tomorrow morning, with an annoyed look on my face, you will know that it's not you, just caffeine withdrawal!! I am SO EXCITED about my hair!! I can't wait to leave looking like Kristin C...?! (ha ha ha!)
Luv ya!!

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

New hair do? I want pictures!!!!

So, I will have to read that one. I haven't yet. I personally don't' have a problem with the caffeine thing but my hubby does, a little.

Good luck girl! You can do it!

Trish said...

Ah, crap! This one has been on my mind for quite some time as I am a lover of all things Dr. Pepper. Now this article pretty much sums what I already knew I was going to have to do...go on the wagon.
Oh the next couple of weeks should be fun!! :(

Amanda said...

We read a bunch of articles on the church website about caffeine a few years ago. Justin was also pulling those 20 hour days and Mountain Dew was his best friend! He made the decision to give it up and let me tell you, that was a HARD month! He probably had a head ache for the entire month. Having such a hard time quitting the caffeine made him realize how much he really was addicted and strengthened his resolve to stay away from it. It was totally worth it. The work still gets done but he doesn't feel like he's letting something have power over him. The blessings will come. Go you!

Amy Lynn said...

Ah, yes. I too read those articles and had the exact same inner dialogue/battle as you. You stated things so eloquently and beautifully though and I am also jumping on the band wagon and promising to be ALL the way obedient instead of "conveniently" obedient.

Thanks for being so wonderfully you!